This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This is one of those old recipes that my mom always made for me when I was a kid. I loved it then and I love it now! Chicken, noodles, peas and mushrooms combined with a tasty, creamy sauce and baked in the oven with a bread crumb topping. What's not to love?
If you're looking for an old fashioned chicken and egg noodles recipe, this is it. A creamy noodle casserole made with none other than Campbell's cream of mushroom soup. Some people hate the famous condensed soup-in-a-can, but I think there's always a place and time for it, and this chicken noodle casserole is it!
What do I need to make this casserole?
- egg noodles
- half and half
- white premium chunk canned chicken breast
- frozen peas
- cream of mushroom soup
- canned mushrooms
- Italian bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
How to make Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole
Cook egg noodles in boiling water according to package instructions. Boil 1-2 minutes less than the package calls for, as the noodles will cook more in the oven.
Add cream of mushroom soup to a mixing bowl.
Add half and half to the mixing bowl.
Add peas to the mixing bowl.
Add mushrooms to the mixing bowl.
Add chicken to the mixing bowl.
Add salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
Mix everything until combined.
Add cooked egg noodles to the mixing bowl.
Mix noodles and sauce until combined.
Place mixture in a baking dish and top with bread crumbs.
Casserole is ready for the oven!
Frequently asked questions
For this recipe, yes you do. Recipes that bake pasta or noodles without pre-cooking them have a lot more liquid in them, and call for longer cooking times.
Absolutely! I use the canned chicken breast since that's how it was always made for me by my mom, and it is a huge time saver. You can substitute with cooked chicken breast, or even chopped rotisserie chicken.
Great substitutions for peas would be broccoli florets, snow peas, sugar snap peas, chopped asparagus or corn.
Yes! Try french fried onions, crumbled Ritz crackers or crumbled corn flakes.
This recipe can be made in advance. Mix the sauce ingredients and cook the noodles, but store each separately. Mix together before baking. The noodles may absorb too much of the liquid if mixed in advance.
An alternate way to make in advance is to make fully up until the baking point. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and freeze up to two months. Thaw in the refrigerator before baking.
Serve with a big, green salad for a complete meal!
What can I serve with this recipe?
Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook egg noodles in boiling water according to package instructions. Boil 1-2 minutes less than the package calls for, as the noodles will cook more in the oven.
- Mix together in a large mixing bowl: cream of mushroom soup, half and half, peas, mushrooms, chicken and salt and pepper. After sauce is combined, add cooked noodles and mix thoroughly again.
- Add mixture to a 9"x13" baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. If you want the top a little brown and crusty, turn the oven to broil and place on the top rack for 3-4 minutes. Make sure to watch it carefully while broiling, as the top can brown rather quickly once it starts.