This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This is my quick and easy weeknight version of a Swedish Meatball casserole bake recipe. So simple to throw together with pre-made meatballs, beef gravy, mushrooms and sour cream. You won't believe how good this is!
If you're more in the mood for a simple salad, my Rainbow Mediterranean Salad is always a good choice!
One of the easiest versions of all of the Swedish meatball casseroles
I love Swedish Meatballs, and I'm always looking for ways to make things simple and easy, especially when I'm trying to get a quick dinner on the table for my family.
You can throw this together with just the below basic ingredients:
- egg noodles
- pre-made meatballs - I like to use the Carando brand since they are fresh and not frozen
- jar of beef gravy
- sour cream
- French fried onions
- fresh mushrooms
- extra virgin olive oil
How do I make this recipe?
First, preheat your oven to 375° F.
Add salt to a pot of water and cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions.
Make sure to remove the egg noodles a minute or two before the time the package tells you to. They will continue to cook in the oven and you don't want them to become overcooked and mushy.
Also, while draining the egg noodles, rinse in cold water. This will stop them from cooking and becoming overcooked.
Heat the olive oil in a medium sized skillet until the oil is hot. Brown meatballs on all sides. Remove from skillet.
Add mushrooms to the same skillet and cook until soft and browned.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and combine until the gravy and sour cream are mixed together completely to make the Swedish Meatball sauce.
Add mixture to a metal or glass 9" x 13" baking dish. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the French Fried onions and bake for another 10 minutes.
Yes, absolutely! Prepare up to the baking steps and cover and keep refrigerated. I would probably only make the day before, just so the pasta doesn't become too dried out. Make sure to leave off the French fried onions and only add those after baking. Bake as directed.
Yes. You can freeze the prepared egg noodle/pasta mixture in a well covered dish and thaw and bake as directed. Make sure to leave off the French fried onions and only add those after baking.
Swedish Meatball Bake
- 12 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound meatballs pre-made, raw
- 18 ounces beef gravy in a jar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup French Fried onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cook egg noodles in salted water (add the 1 teaspoon of salt) according to package instructions. When egg noodles are done, drain and rinse in cold water.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet until hot. Brown meatballs on all sides. Remove meatballs and add mushrooms. Cook until slightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked egg noodles, beef gravy, sour cream and sautéed mushrooms. Mix until the gravy and sour cream are incorporated together to form the Swedish meatball sauce. Add meatballs.
- Add pasta mixture into a 9" x 13" baking dish (metal or glass will work). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add the French fried onions to the top. Bake for another 10 minutes until the onions are crispy.