This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Last Updated on
Try this quick and tasty Taco Beef and Potato Casserole for an easy spin on taco night! Loaded with potatoes, zesty taco beef and a cheesy, creamy sauce it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
I’m a big fan of whipping up a casserole on a busy night. I’m an even bigger fan of making a couple over the weekend, and freezing them so I can just throw it in the oven at a later date.
Since we’re gone a lot on weeknights for my son’s baseball games and practices, I like to make my life so much easier by planning ahead and making a meal like this.
Tips for making Taco Beef and Potato Casserole
I like to let the potatoes sit out on the counter for a little while before mixing up the casserole. It helps to thaw out the potatoes and they won’t try to stick together in one large clump.
You can also use fresh potatoes for this, but it will add significant time to the prep time. You’ll need to peel the potatoes first, and dice into small cubes. You should also pre-boil the potatoes until they’re just starting to get soft. This will ensure the potatoes will be cooked completely.
Uncooked potatoes will ruin any casserole. 😕
You can also add any other veggies that you think sound good. Chopped jalapeño peppers would add a spicy kick, or even a rinsed can of black beans would add a southwestern flair.
Make sure you add the tortilla strips to the top of the casserole after it bakes in the oven. If they are added before baking, they will burn.
When I was shopping for the ingredients for this recipe, I found these colorful tortilla strips. I loved the extra punch of color!
Taco Beef and Potato Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 5 cups frozen potatoes diced
- 14.5 ounces corn canned, drained
- 4 ounces green chilies canned, diced
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- cilantro for garnish
- lime slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Saute ground beef, peppers and onion over medium heat in a skillet, until ground beef is no longer pink. Drain and add to a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt cream cheese with milk and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Save the remaining cheese for topping the casserole. Add taco seasoning. Cook until all is melted and combined thoroughly. Add to beef, onion and pepper mixture.
- To the beef mixture, add the potatoes, corn and chiles and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until heated thoroughly.
- After removing from oven, top with tortilla strips.
- Serve with cilantro and lime slices.
If you’re looking for other casserole recipes, try my Philly Cheesesteak Bubble Up Casserole or My Kids Favorite Casserole. You can make both of these casseroles ahead of time and freeze to make weeknight dinners quick and stress-free!