This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Beef Burrito Pie is a quick, tasty alternative for Taco Tuesday. A layered casserole made with ground beef, cilantro lime rice, and a creamy cheesy filling that will satisfy everyone at the dinner table.
My family always loves tacos for dinner, especially my son who would probably eat them every night if he could. I get a little bored with the regular ground beef or ground turkey tacos we make all the time, so I thought I'd change it up and make a sort of layered burrito pie.
It was so easy, and so good!
For this recipe, I layered the pie with ground beef, cilantro lime rice, sour cream and cheddar cheese. Feel free to change it up however you like your burritos. I really don't think there's a way to screw this one up!
Just think of all the options you can add to a burrito at one of those create-your-own burrito places, and just use any of these ingredients in your Burrito Pie.
- beef, chicken, pork, turkey, tofu, sautéed fajita veggies
- brown rice, white rice, quinoa
- black beans, pinto beans, refried beans
- various cheeses, sour cream, tomatoes, salsas, hot sauces, onions, sweet peppers, spicy peppers
I would save any cold ingredients to use as toppings since they may not taste so great after being baked in the oven.
- fresh vegetable salsas
- chopped lettuce
- sour cream and cheese (both of these will work great inside and on top!)
Making Beef Burrito Pie
To make the beef burrito pie, you first prepare all of the layered ingredients, so they're all ready to go when assembling the pie.
Prepare the beef filling first.
Then prepare the cilantro lime rice / sour cream filling.
Layer the beef filling, then the rice filling in a pie pan.
Add a layer of cheddar cheese.
Add a flour tortilla, and then repeat all layers.
After the last tortilla, top with a layer of cheese. I sprinkled a little bit of chili powder on top for some color.
Above is the finished beef burrito pie after baking.
Beef Burrito Pie
- 1 pound ground beef 80%/20%
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 4 ounces green chilies canned, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
Cilantro Lime Rice Mixture
- 2 cups brown rice precooked
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 large flour tortillas
- Brown ground beef in a medium to large sized skillet over medium heat. Drain excess oil and return to pan.
- Add onion, green chilies and seasonings. Cook until onions are soft and translucent. Taste to see if extra salt is needed.
Cilantro Lime Rice Mixture
- Mix brown rice, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Taste to see if extra salt is needed.
Prepare Beef Burrito Pie
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Add ⅓ of meat mixture to bottom of pie pan. Top with ⅓ of the rice mixture, then ⅓ cup of cheddar cheese. Top with flour tortilla.
- Repeat above step two more times. Top flour tortilla with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted on top.
- Serve with desired toppings such as salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, avocados, guacamole, hot sauce, etc.
If you love this Beef Burrito Pie, check out my Taco Beef and Potato Casserole, for yet another option to change up your Taco Tuesday. Another great casserole idea for a weeknight is my Philly Cheesesteak Bubble Up Casserole with Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce.
Also, please check out the tons of amazing recipes from other talented bloggers on Southern Plate’s Meal Plan Monday post and The Lazy Gastronome's What's For Dinner? Sunday Link Up post.