This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This is a super simple chicken dinner recipe that takes THREE ingredients and FIVE minutes to make! It always comes out flavorful and perfect. The only tool needed is a slow cooker!
On so many days, our family is busy and on the go, with sports practices, games and whatnot. This slow cooker BBQ chicken is one of my go-to's for an easy, quick and delicious dinner.
What do I serve with pulled BBQ chicken?
I like to serve this with coleslaw or some yummy buttered corn. A refreshing fruit salad also works well with this recipe.
You can also make other dinners out of this chicken recipe. Sandwiches, pizzas, wraps, salads...the possibilities are really endless! Try this Easy Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwich for something quick and easy!
What ingredients are needed to make this recipe?
Only 3 ingredients are needed! THREE!!
- chicken breasts
- BBQ (barbecue) sauce
- honey mustard
- salt and pepper (I don't count these as ingredients!)
- *you can add some apple cider vinegar if you like your barbecue sauce more tangy
How do you make pulled BBQ chicken ?
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Add honey mustard (and apple cider vinegar if you want a more tangy sauce) to your favorite barbecue sauce. I like to add the honey mustard since it gives the chicken an extra boost of flavor with an extra layer of depth. It gives a little Chick-Fil-A sauce vibe, if you love that like my family does!
This is how the sauce will look.
Add the seasoned chicken breasts to a slow cooker or crock pot.
Cover with the sauce mixture.
Cook on high for three to four hours.
This is what the chicken will look like after it is cooked.
Shred the chicken with two forks. It will shred pretty easily, since cooking in the slow cooker makes the chicken very tender.
The end result! Delicious pulled BBQ chicken your whole family will devour!
- Although this recipe uses chicken breasts, feel free to substitute with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The extra fat in the dark meat has tons of flavor!
- If you have trouble finding honey mustard, you can improvise by adding honey to regular mustard, until you get it to taste to your liking. I prefer Dijon mustard when making my own honey mustard, but yellow mustard can work too.
- If you like your BBQ chicken extra saucy, make extra sauce to serve alongside at dinner. The uncooked sauce will have a different, more strong flavor than the sauce mixed in with the chicken.
- I prefer to shred the chicken with two forks right in my slow cooker as I don't love to make extra dirty dishes, but there are other ways to do this. I've heard great things about this chicken shredder. A hand mixer (LOVE this retro look and color) or stand mixer will also do the job.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.C
Yes! After the chicken has cooled, place in a ziploc bag and remove as much air as possible, and store in the freezer for up to four months.
Great substitutions would be boneless, skinless chicken thighs, a pork shoulder roast, or a pork butt roast.
165° F is the proper temperature for cooked poultry.
If you like your sauce a little thicker, first know that as it cools, it will thicken slightly. If you still think you would like it a little thicker, a cornstarch slurry will help. Combine one tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with two tablespoons of water until there are no lumps, then mix in with the chicken. Let it sit for a minute or two and if it's still not thick enough, add another mixture of the slurry.
Yes, since we are cooking the chicken fairly fast (for a slow cooker) and the slow cooker is not overloaded with ingredients that will take a long time to come to a hot temperature. You don't want the chicken sitting at a low temperature for an extended period of time.
Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper
- Mix barbecue sauce, honey mustard and apple cider vinegar (if using).
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker or crock pot.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Cook chicken to 165°F.
- Shred chicken with two forks when done.
Would this work for cubed chicken as well?
You would need to reduce the cooking time, although I'm not sure by how long. I'm not a fan of cubed chicken! You can try it, but then you won't be able to "pull" the chicken. Let me know how it goes!
I think I will stick with the pulled option!
As rarely as I cook, your site and directions make it seem so easy. I'm going to be trying a few of your recipes. Thanks for sharing all you do.