This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Skillet Breakfast Pizza is my way of getting one of my favorite foods squeezed into another meal of the day. And just like dinner pizza, Skillet Breakfast Pizza can be customized with any of your favorite toppings.
On Sunday mornings, we usually like to make something for breakfast that is a little more substantial, and I was feeling a bit creative. I didn't want the standard eggs, bacon and toast, so I began a search in the fridge to see what I could come up with. Biscuits. Eggs. Maple Chicken Sausage. Cheddar Cheese. Veggies.
This sounds like the makings of a good breakfast pizza. In a skillet. Skillet Breakfast Pizza was born.
And for some reason, I always feel like breakfast should be made in my cast iron pan. I love that pan. I've had it a while, so it's nice and "seasoned". If you get a new cast iron pan, check out this blog post from Serious Eats about how to season your pan. There is a lot of good info here!
Tips for making Skillet Breakfast Pizza
- I used biscuit dough, but you can also use crescent roll dough for the crust instead of biscuit dough. You will have to press them all together to make one, uniform crust. See the picture below...this was after I pressed all of the biscuits together.
- This Skillet Breakfast Pizza can be customized with any toppings you like! Some other combos I would like to try would be eggs, chorizo, tomatoes and pepper jack cheese; eggs, bacon, spinach, mushrooms and goat cheese; and chopped turkey, spinach, tomato and hollandaise sauce. The options really are endless!
- This isn't really a cooking tip, and more of a parenting tip. Calling this a pizza made my kiddos way more eager to eat veggies for breakfast, which gets brownie points in my eyes. My kids will eat some veggies, but normally never for breakfast. This will be on my regular rotation from now on because of this!
Some other great Breakfast recipes to try
Skillet Breakfast Pizza
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 16 ounces refrigerated biscuit dough
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms chopped
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 Applegate maple chicken sausages
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with the ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil. Spread all of the biscuits around the bottom of the skillet, and up the sides slightly. Make sure to press all of the "seams" together where the biscuits meet, so you end up with one solid dough. Bake in oven for about 20-21 minutes, or until dough is light brown on top.
- While dough is baking, sauté the onions, red bell peppers and mushrooms in ½ tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Also while dough is baking, whisk the eggs with the half and half and 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium, and then add egg mixture. Cook until eggs are no longer runny.
- Heat sausage in microwave, per the package instructions. Chop into bite size pieces.
- When dough is done baking, cool slightly. Spread cream cheese over baked dough. Top with veggie mixture, scrambled eggs, chopped sausage and cheddar cheese. Put back in oven to warm and melt the cheese.
What other combinations do you think would be great on a Skillet Breakfast Pizza?