This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
My Fall Apple Walnut Cake is a perfectly moist coffee cake that’s excellent both warm and cold. Goes great with your morning coffee!
I thought I would try out doing some posts of some retro recipes. Retro recipes that are actually good. Not like the weird, gross ones that have odd combinations like mayo and gelatin. Yuck.
I learned to cook at an early age from my Grandma. When she passed away many years ago, the only thing I wanted was her collection of recipes. I still have all of them and thought it would be fun to make some of the ones that I always loved.
Tips for Making the Fall Apple Walnut Cake
I used a bundt pan for this cake, but any pan would work. I like how this cake looks when you use a bundt pan. It just looks prettier. A round cake pan, or a bread loaf pan would work well also.
When choosing apples for this cake, really, any apples will work. I prefer to use a sweeter apple though. This time I used a variety I hadn’t tried before…SweeTango Apples. They were perfect for this cake. They were sweet and didn’t turn to mush once baked in the cake.
When preparing the cake batter, first mix all the dry ingredients together separately. You want to make sure they are mixed well before adding the wet ingredients.
After the dry ingredients are mixed, add all remaining ingredients. The batter will be VERY thick and you might think it needs extra liquid. It doesn’t. There’s a lot of water in the apples and they release that moisture during baking.
After the cake batter is mixed thoroughly, pour into a well greased pan…either with cooking spray or butter. I would have preferred my pan to have been nonstick, but I had to work with what I had.
This cake bakes low and slow…plan for an hour. When it starts to smell up your house with fall cinnamony goodness, the wait is excruciating!
Retro Recipe: Fall Apple Walnut Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter melted
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples peeled and diced
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
For Glaze Topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- ¼ cup salted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients, chopped apples and walnuts.
- Spray a bundt pan generously with cooking spray. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- While cake is baking, mix together the glaze ingredients.
- After cake is done baking, remove from pan while hot and place on serving dish. Drizzle glaze on cake while it’s still hot.
If you’re making this Fall Apple Walnut Cake for breakfast, it would pair wonderfully with this Meal Prep Fruit Salad. Enjoy!